Many artist websites now offer online purchase and payment capabilities – some have simple paypal buttons and checkout, while others have sophisticated shopping carts and payment processing systems. But how many artists actually have customers clicking on their “Add to Cart” buttons and completing the sale?
In our personal experience, website visitors will frequently buy lower-cost art reproductions (less than $100) through a website store. Our best sale of this type was a single sale of $1,100 for 5 limited edition prints. Our experience with original art has been somewhat different though – our first-time original art customers have always seen the actual work or a similar work in-person prior to purchasing. However – once they are familiar with the work and the quality they will sometimes make a subsequent purchase from the website.
That’s our experience. We’d love to hear YOUR experiences with selling art online from your website.
- Have you sold art from your website using a shopping cart and credit card or Paypal payment?
- What price-range is the art you sell successfully on your website?
- Do you find that art buyers will purchase and pay for your more expensive original works from your website?
- Is it an advantage for you to have an online shopping cart and credit card processing? Or could you do just as well taking phone orders and accepting payments by check or Paypal?
- Do you have any secrets you’d like to share about selling art online?
We look forward to your participation in this discussion – please leave your comments below!